Wednesday, July 16, 2014

John Cleese: Brilliance

I friggin love comedians. I grew up on Robin Williams and Jim Carrey, but then there was the Holy Grail of comedy: the Brits.

The first time I saw Ministry of Silly Walks I literally thought "This. Is. Everything. I. Want."

To be fair I had had the same reaction when I saw the Karate Kid the week before, but it was still very formative. Or the time I wrote to Drew Barrymore telling her how kick ass it was to see a female action star (Charlie's Angels)! Trying to help her understand that Ralph Macchio had nothing on her!
My fan mail was inexplicably  replied with a  headshot of Drew, a Samuel French catalog of plays, and no explanation. If I thought hard enough it was probably a Hollywood Guide to Starting, but it was hard to decipher how wanting to be a comdey action girl and a complete list of Tennessee Williams' plays were connected.

 I was grateful nonetheless.
Formative as my experience was, nothing compares to the letter this 14 year old received after asking if John Cleese had a fan club:

Posted by Reddit user  Anomatia

I mean... its hard not to be insanely jealous of this guy. What makes it even better is that Michael Palin couldn't help but add his two cents in this hand written letter!

Posted by BuzzFeed, originally by Matt Hyde

It seems clear to me that I made the wrong choices as a kid. It's a hard lesson to learn so late in life, but at least I learned it now. Hopefully I can make the right decision the next time I choose to write to Drew Barrymore or John Cleese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment